Job Ref: SS2201
Reports to: Senior Manager
Contract type: Permanent
For more than twenty years, Isogenica has built deep expertise and knowledge about how to discover antibodies and develop them into drugs in partnership with some of the world’s most innovative biopharma companies. Now, we are leveraging that experience to build those drugs ourselves.
We are building our drug pipeline from humanised VHHs; single domain antibody fragments around 1/10th the size of a traditional mAb. Our vision is to create multimers of our lead VHH molecules in order to make safer, more effective cancer therapies. As we move into 2023, we need to build our protein science capability to ensure our multimeric VHHs are of the highest standard required for clinical applications. This role is the cornerstone of building that capability – designing, purifying, and assessing the quality of potential new therapeutics.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a serious scientist and care about the quality of your work. You take accountability for your project and work in an organised way, taking initiative to be creative or help colleagues where needed. You communicate effectively with colleagues and embrace a culture of respectful challenge. Above all, you love to learn about science and about how that science intersects with commercial priorities, and about how something you made moves towards helping patients.
- Molecular biology design and construction in prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression vectors.
- Expression and purification from E. coli.
- Expression and purification from CHO/HEK293 cells, including transfection.
- Chromatography experience using size exclusion, affinity resins, and ion exchange.
- PhD or equivalent experience demonstrating research independence.
- >2 years working to defined timelines and clear deliverables, such as an industrial setting.
- Rigorous data interpretation and attention to detail
We would love it if you had:
Prior experience of antibody sequence manipulation, and its effects.
Familiarity with VHHs and/or amino acid linkers.
WHAT WE OFFER
- As well as being part of our skilled and enthusiastic team, you will also benefit from:
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- A culture of trust, including the option to work some days from home when appropriate
- A work-place pension with an 8% employer contribution
- Routine salary benchmarking in the biotech industry to ensure our pay remains both fair and competitive
- Access to Income Protection and Life Insurance benefits
- Access to Private Medical Insurance (eligible on completion of probation)
- Unlimited access to health and wellbeing resources through our Employee Assistance Programme including counselling and telephone GP service
- Professional development tailored to you including both in-house training and external courses and events
Isogenica is located in Chesterford Research Park offering a beautiful landscape in which to work with plenty of green, open and parkland grounds to explore. Alongside the benefits above, you’ll have access to an on-site restaurant, golf course and 50% membership discount for the on-site gym which includes exercise classes and an outdoor bootcamp.
Salary Range: £43,000 – £50,000 pa plus excellent benefits package
How to apply: Please send your CV and brief covering letter to: email@example.com
You must have the permanent right to work in the UK to apply for this role.
For more detailed description of the role – see separate Appendix.
Behaviours and values:
- The ability to work both individually and as part of a team is essential. Fostering collaborative relationships with colleagues is essential.
- Approachable, supportive and able to share knowledge and expertise to help others progress through coaching and mentoring colleagues and act as a role model to junior team members or direct reports.
- Fosters a culture of trust. Welcomes and provides support and respectful challenge.
- Creativity and innovation within the role, seeking to suggest improvements or contribute to team or company project plans using evidence from independent research to present and support good arguments or suggestions.
- Eagerness for learning and a proactive approach to expanding own knowledge and skills and able to take responsibility for the learning and development of team members or more junior colleagues.
- Demonstrable enthusiasm and passion for the work of the company, setting high standards for self and others and consistently setting high expectations.
- Takes personal responsibility and demonstrates good planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise.
- Knowledge and understanding of multi-specific antibody discovery industry and new developments in this area.
- Design and execution of antibody engineering strategies (e.g. multimerization, affinity maturation, humanisation etc), ensuring high quality of the resulting molecules.
- Working with prokaryotic and mammalian expression vectors, including stable transfection.
- Protein expression and purification from bacteria and mammalian cell culture using automated systems (e.g. ÄKTA) and data analysis using UV/VIS spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, size exclusion chromatography, HIC, Tm etc.
- Antibody binding assays (ELISA, Alphascreen or HTRF).
- Analytical flow cytometry cell-binding experiments.
- General molecular biology work (DNA purification, PCR setup, restriction digests/ligations, E. coli transformation, gel electrophoresis etc.).
- Maintenance of complex lab equipment/robotics.
- Preparation and presentation of project/programme summaries, interpreting data accurately and explaining results to colleagues informally, at team/company meetings or externally to partners/collaborators.
- Based on broader industrial and technical experience and knowledge, you will identify, investigate and implement improvements to Isogenica’s processes.
- Support and advise colleagues on rigorous data interpretation, experimental design and use of complex technical equipment and troubleshoot as needed.
- Acting as mentor to more junior colleagues and providing training.
- May develop line management of one or more reports as you grow into the role.
- Ensuring new methods are recorded in SOPs and logged.
- Comply with health and safety policies including conducting risk assessments and COSHH and raising of any H&S concerns with the line manager.